This week I’m going to talk about Eames, one of the two cardigans we are offering in our SS17 Collection. Eames is created using our mercerized cotton yarn, Rain, held single. Rain is a joy to knit with. The mercerized cotton has a beautiful sheen and the chain construction helps Rain maintain its shape and adds to its fluid drape.
Eames is worked flat in pieces from the bottom up then seamed. I’ve written the pattern for two sleeve length options. You can make the short sleeve option as shown in the photos above, or you can make the long sleeve option. Eames is worked on a size US 7 needle. The resulting fabric is suitable for three-season wear; Spring through Fall.
- Knit flat in pieces from the bottom up
- Sides are seamed and sleeves are set in
- Narrow shawl collar
- Slight side seam and front edge shaping
- Sl1, k1, p1 edging along front and neck edges
- Double Long Tail Cast-On
- German Short Rows – shoulder shaping
- Binding off in the Center of a Row and Sloped Bind-Off – neck shaping
- 3-Needle Bind-Off – shoulders
- Lengthening or shortening options for body and sleeves
I used the Double Long Tail Cast-On at the hem and on the sleeves. The yarn is held double on the tail side of the cast on to add a bit of weight to help prevent the hems from curling.
Eames can easily be worn with a casual summer outfit or added as the finishing touch for a night out in the city.